As I recently looked at some posts from this past fall, I thought an update on how potty training went would be helpful for me for the next time around (and maybe helpful for anyone else as well).
At first I thought potty training wasn't easy because it took more than a week to get it to click. Looking back now, I'd say that at 2 months after beginning potty training, we had complete success. When we went on Christmas vacation, which included 4 days of driving, that was the true test of the training. Lila was accident-free for the ENTIRE vacation including during those 45+ hours of being in the car, and that equals a pretty speedy success in my book.
Here's a run down of how things have gone and what we used to make it work:
At this point I'm just glad I don't have to get down to the level of the old potty chair and dump it and clean it. I just hope once baby brother arrives that she won't regress or refuse to use the toilet on her own when I really can't get up to help her....we'll just have to wait and see.
In summary, I think potty training wasn't that bad and went pretty quickly. I hope the next time around I feel the same way :o)
At first I thought potty training wasn't easy because it took more than a week to get it to click. Looking back now, I'd say that at 2 months after beginning potty training, we had complete success. When we went on Christmas vacation, which included 4 days of driving, that was the true test of the training. Lila was accident-free for the ENTIRE vacation including during those 45+ hours of being in the car, and that equals a pretty speedy success in my book.
Here's a run down of how things have gone and what we used to make it work:
- We have had only 1-2 accidents since Christmas and they were when she wouldn't stop playing to go use the toilet.
- We haven't had a bedwetting since the first week we started potty training. Her proving early on that she could stay dry through the night was an indicator that she was plenty ready to be potty trained.
- We haven't used jelly beans as a reward for going potty in over 2 weeks, although the treats were initially instrumental in getting her to use her potty chair!
- We ended up using a potty chair with the removable cup for dumping into the big toilet. After reading "Toilet Training Without Tears" I decided this would be the best for learning to have a BM on the toilet (little people's feet need to reach the floor for this [at least initially]).
- We also had a Tinkerbell foldable travel potty seat that was invaluable for getting Lila to use public toilets during these last few months.
- Lila has progressed to the point where she will now use the regular toilet (with the child-size seat on it) at home and when we're at a public toilet she'll let me just help her out on the regular seat without our trusty Tinkerbell travel potty.
At this point I'm just glad I don't have to get down to the level of the old potty chair and dump it and clean it. I just hope once baby brother arrives that she won't regress or refuse to use the toilet on her own when I really can't get up to help her....we'll just have to wait and see.
In summary, I think potty training wasn't that bad and went pretty quickly. I hope the next time around I feel the same way :o)
Comments