Skip to main content

Shout out to Mindy!


Lila, my sweet pretty baby, did not want me to sit down with her all week! Actually, today in church was no different! For the last week, unless she's sleeping, she doesn't want me to be sitting down when I'm holding her. Since I've been all by myself all day for the last week, this has simply worn me out!! Thankfully, my friend Mindy told me about The Happiest Baby on the Block while I was pregnant with Lila. This book tells about a baby's "fourth trimester", the first few months when they still want the comforts of the womb. This is where white noise, the swing, and the sling come in. With these three tricks up my sleeve I was able to keep my sanity this week. When Lila is just crying (colicky I suppose you could say) and she's been fed, burped, and diapered but she still is crying, I just turn on the vacuum or my white noise track on my docked iPod and she immediately calms down. It is amazing!! Then she is calm and she can go into the swing and fall asleep and I can have 45 minutes to get something done. When her nap is over and she's tired of playing on her playmat, then into the sling she goes. Yesterday I had her front facing in the sling while I was unloading the dishwasher and she fell asleep in there too. This past week I also found that holding her in my arms and doing a deep squat also calms her crying down and turns that frown into a smile! I also learned that doing this repeatedly makes me a very sore mommy the next day! Hahaha, well, I have been wanting to fit more exercise in anyway! 
(The picture of Lila is from today, right after we got home from church.)

Comments

Mindy said…
Oh man, I dreaded church during those stages...I lived in the mother's lounge and hall:) Once I went through the week of letting Addy cry herself to sleep her schedule has been amazing! She puts herself to sleep every couple hours. I'm glad the white noise is working for Lila! She is soooo cute! I love her big eyes!

Popular posts from this blog

All the emotions

Moving of course brings up all sorts of thoughts and feelings. As I declutter and go through all of our stuff I get distracted with the memories that items bring up. I've had moments of sadness and feeling like time flies far too quickly. But of all the feelings, the most overwhelming one has been joyful gratitude. All my reflections on these years here in Austin, and most especially this last year have made me realize how far I've come in my life. This year I have achieved just about all I could ever hope for in life. I've come to love life with all it's ups and downs. I've learned how to roll with the punches and keep my chin up when things get tough. I've truly learned to put myself at the top of the priority list. I have more of myself to give than ever before. I've learned how to give and receive friendship. I've come to love and accept myself as I am. I know I am stronger than ever (and not just my muscles, but truly I think I am physically at my...

Going private, send your e-mail to keep reading!!

Well, I've found out that a middle aged man has been coming on my blog and looking at pictures of my children.  I am obviously very uncomfortable with this, so it's time to go private. I'm happy to let any of you continue reading, as long as I know you and know you're not creepy! Just post your e-mail address and I'll add it to the list :o)

Lila is 2!!

Where did the time go? My baby is two and not really a baby at all. We love her to pieces and can't imagine life without her. She continues to learn things quickly and is already starting to read. Just kidding!! Just wanted to see if you were reading my post. Lila loves to learn, but she's not a genius (sorry sweetie--your genes aren't that good!). Lately she's been learning the sounds the letters make (she learned the alphabet at 16 mos.) and by sight she recognizes the words "cat", "dog", "Mom", "Dad", and "Lila." She knows all the colors (although her colorblindness sometimes gets her mixed up on red and green...those darn genes again!), shapes, and numbers 1-15. She enjoys singing, playing the "I Spy" game, running, climbing, going to nursery on Sunday, bike rides, looking at books, and going to the library. Oh yeah, and did I mention that she likes chocolate just as much as I do?? Maybe I shouldn't ha...