Skip to main content

Thanks, Mom

Time, hugs, discipline, patience, encouragement, meals, home, tickles, love.

Motherhood is made up of these things and so much more. It's taken me becoming a mother to appreciate just how much a mother does. I don't think there is any job that compares! The late nights, the days on end without much of a break, the menial tasks, the never ending chores...but the rewards of tender kisses, tight squeezes, smiles from ear to ear, and a bond like no other make every minute worth it. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything in the world. I'm a more compassionate person because I am a mother. My love and admiration for my own mother has deepened.

Speaking of my mother, I want to list something of things I love about her and the things she taught me.

Me and my mom, Easter Sunday 1984
She has sewn many things for me and my siblings, and now her grandchildren. From dresses to pajamas to quilts and much-loved flannel baby blankets. She also taught me to sew, and though I don't do it often enough, I'm grateful for the skill.

She always made delicious meals and desserts and we could count on dinner at 6 o'clock without fail. Now I can fully appreciate the effort this took, especially for a family of nine!

Her love of cooking and baking helped me become someone who appreciates and can make a good meal.

My mom loves romantic comedies, and as I mentioned in my birthday post, especially those lovely Doris Day ones from the 1960's. I'm happy to share this love with her.

Along with romantic comedies, my mom exposed us to all her favorite old live-action Disney movies (mostly from the 1960's, starring Hayley Mills or Lesley Ann Warren). I love all these old movies too and when I watch them they bring back good childhood memories.

For years I have thought my mom looks like a mix between Lesley Ann Warren and Celine Dion.  Yeah, my mom is pretty :)
My mom has a love of music and taught me to appreciate everything from Chopin to the Carpenters at a young age. As a child I always loved it when she would take a minute to sit at the piano and play something (Disney tunes were my favorite back then).

She loves flowers and taught her children to help her in the garden. I love flowers and know many if their names because of my mom's love for flowers.

My mom always had the house organized and on a schedule. It was nice to grow up with that kind of consistency. One of these days I hope I will acquire these skills!

Without my mom I may not have developed my love affair with chocolate. I think she hooked me on the stuff in uterine :)

I love that my mom always took the time to decorate the house and bake delicious treats for each holiday that was celebrated in her home. It was always fun to help her with the decorating and baking.

One of my favorite things my mom did for us kids was read aloud to us. I'm so glad that she gets to share this with Lila now via Skype; we have a standing appointment every Wednesday afternoon!

Along with reading aloud to us, she took us to the library regularly. I love doing the same thing with my children now. I think I will forever love the library, and most especially children's literature.

I have so much gratitude for all the love and time my mom has devoted to me and my siblings over the years. I finally realize just how much work motherhood is, and I hope Mom, that you know your work has not gone unappreciated!!

Love, Adria


Comments

autumnjk said…
Thanks for bringing back all my favorite memories as a child too! I appreciate Mom even more now, and I liked your celebrity photo comparison. Happy Mothers Day to you too!

Popular posts from this blog

Going private, send your e-mail to keep reading!!

Well, I've found out that a middle aged man has been coming on my blog and looking at pictures of my children.  I am obviously very uncomfortable with this, so it's time to go private. I'm happy to let any of you continue reading, as long as I know you and know you're not creepy! Just post your e-mail address and I'll add it to the list :o)

Lila is 2!!

Where did the time go? My baby is two and not really a baby at all. We love her to pieces and can't imagine life without her. She continues to learn things quickly and is already starting to read. Just kidding!! Just wanted to see if you were reading my post. Lila loves to learn, but she's not a genius (sorry sweetie--your genes aren't that good!). Lately she's been learning the sounds the letters make (she learned the alphabet at 16 mos.) and by sight she recognizes the words "cat", "dog", "Mom", "Dad", and "Lila." She knows all the colors (although her colorblindness sometimes gets her mixed up on red and green...those darn genes again!), shapes, and numbers 1-15. She enjoys singing, playing the "I Spy" game, running, climbing, going to nursery on Sunday, bike rides, looking at books, and going to the library. Oh yeah, and did I mention that she likes chocolate just as much as I do?? Maybe I shouldn't ha...

The long version & his name

I started working on this post on Wednesday, but I've been sick with a cold and desperately trying to get rest, so here it is Friday and I'm finally finishing it up! Monday morning I woke up with a sore throat and a cough. I thought I had escaped getting sick like Darren and Lila, but I wasn't feeling great so I slept in until 9am. Me and Lila hung out at home resting all day Monday. I spent so much time on the couch in the living room that I started sketching and making decorating/rearranging plans for the living room. I pinned curtain and art ideas on Pinterest and started pricing out my plans. When a friend invited Lila over for a play date on Tuesday, I started making plans for hitting up the craft store and beginning my living room makeover the next day. After Darren got home and we got Lila to bed, I found some energy and began rearranging the living room and straightening up the house. Then at 10:30pm I decided to do a short yoga practice, took a shower at 11, ...