Skip to main content

3-0 & thirty things about me!

Yoga, smoothie, chocolate, dinner I didn't have to make...it's been a nice birthday :o)




With today's milestone birthday I thought I would indulge in a list of things about me. I better write some of these things down before I get any older and forget them :o)

Without further ado, 30 things you may or may not know about me:

1. I am a chocolate addict. The addition of two children in my life isn't helping me kick the habit ;) Chocolate makes me happy, so no harm though, right?
2. I love the color green. I actually love all bright, happy colors, but I'm particularly drawn to green. I love living life in color.
3. I am colorblind. After we'd been married for about year or so Darren tricked me into taking a colorblind test and the rest is history. Darren is colorblind as well, which means we will only produce colorblind children!
4. I stood Darren up for our first date. It was supposed to be a double-date with our younger siblings, but I went on a date with a different guy and sent my sis on the double without me. Lucky for me Darren was still interested, and I kind of think he liked that I was playing hard to get...obviously things worked out just fine :o)
5. I sing jazz (or at least I used to). When I was 19 I took a voice class at the community college and was then recommended for the Applied Music program. I auditioned and was accepted, then had the privilege of studying vocal jazz with an amazing jazz vocalist and pianist (Dr. Kate Reid--she plays in OC & LA regularly if you live in the area) for 2 years. I look forward to one day brushing up my skills and expanding my repertoire.
6. I love tennis. I took a tennis class at another community college after Darren and I moved to San Diego as newlyweds and was recommended to try out for the women's tennis team. The coach let me play as the 6th seed on the team and I had such a fun time. I'm not a great tennis player, but I look forward to someday taking more lessons and improving my skills.
7. I am often a great beginner, which leaves me mediocre at most things. See numbers 5 & 6 for examples :o)
8. I love romantic comedies of the 1960's and I have my mom to thank for this one. My mom introduced me and my sisters to her favorite Doris Day, Sandra Dee, and Debbie Reynolds films when we were young. I still love to watch them when I'm sick in bed or crafting.
9. I love dresses. I have a collection of somewhere around 60. Maybe more...
10. I love vintage clothing from the 1930's - 1970's. I think this love of mine was born of my love of 1960's chic flicks! Several of the dresses in my collection mentioned in #9 are vintage or made from vintage sewing patterns. Currently my favorite era of vintage is the 1960's.
11. I've had a thing for trying "natural" remedies and what not since I was a teenager. Example: when I was 15 I tried to dye my hair with beet juice. In case you're wondering, it didn't work. Today I like to use coconut oil as a moisturizer. Not everything that's "natural" fails!
12. I love yoga. Power yoga is my favorite; it makes me feel so strong! One day I would like to pursue becoming a yoga instructor, but for now I definitely need a few more years of practice.
13. I'm ambidextrous. With a little bit of regular practice I can write quite legibly with my right hand (I generally call my self left handed). Other things I do with my right hand: play guitar, bowl, and golf. Things I do with my left hand: write, eat, and play racquet sports.
14. When I was a teenager I told my sister that someday I would be married to someone rich and I would hire her as my cook. At the time this sister thought she would pursue culinary school and I thought I would never learn to cook. Fast forward to now and I know how to cook quite well and often share recipes with this sister of mine!
15. I weigh less now than I did as a 14 year old. Weirdly enough, post-partum I have ended up losing five more pounds than my pre-pregnancy weight with each pregnancy...which means I keep getting smaller. Thanks for the good genes, Mom!
16. My right foot is slightly bigger than my left foot.
17. I have never done a cartwheel. I'm hoping to change this in my 30's!
18. I don't like when my eyes get wet. I avoid getting them wet in the shower frequently, and swimming is not my favorite thing because of this aversion (I guess that's what goggles are for!).
19. I love to "google" things. I could spend all day surfing the internet, googling anything I can come up with.
20. I never forget a face I've met or a celebrity face I've seen, and I'm good at remembering names too. This makes me really good at our favorite road trip game, "Six degrees of separation" or whatever you want to call it!
21. I prefer non-fiction over fiction when it comes to books. At this point I especially like parenting books and the works of Malcolm Gladwell. I usually listen to them in the form of audiobooks :o)
22. I have far too many housekeeping pet peeves. There's just something about me not wanting to ever put my hands in cold dirty dish water...
23. If I'm going to sit down and watch TV or a movie I want it to make me laugh.
24. I have fallen asleep to too many movies to count. And this habit of mine started before we had kids! The most recent movies I started but failed to stay awake to finish: Lincoln, Skyfall, People Like Us
25. I like to do hair. It's a good thing I have a little girl! I have always enjoyed doing hair, as most of my sisters could probably tell you.
26. I love to skate. Rollerskate, rollerblade, ice skate...I love them all!
27. My first job was as a carhop at Sonic when I was 15. I averaged $14/hr because of the tips I made; not bad, eh?
28. I had a short stint as a singer in a ska band when I was 20 and I sang harmonies with my singer/songwriter friend and had some gigs.
29. My first car was a little blue Honda CRX that I paid $1600 cash for right after my 16th birthday.
30. I am near-sighted and wear glasses (well, I don't wear them as often as I should :)

I'm looking forward to this decade in my thirties. I'm healthy, happy, strong, and ready to conquer all my fears. I hope I look back on my thirties and love this time of my life :o)

Comments

smalltowngirl said…
Yeah for 30! I'm not too far behind. Glad you had a great birthday. Still waiting for those smoothie recipes ;)
Kelly said…
Happy belated birthday! These are fun facts. Some I knew some I didn't. I'm kinda sitting here a little jealous and a little mad that you lost extra weight post babies :) I went 5 lbs the other direction haha.

Popular posts from this blog

All the emotions

Moving of course brings up all sorts of thoughts and feelings. As I declutter and go through all of our stuff I get distracted with the memories that items bring up. I've had moments of sadness and feeling like time flies far too quickly. But of all the feelings, the most overwhelming one has been joyful gratitude. All my reflections on these years here in Austin, and most especially this last year have made me realize how far I've come in my life. This year I have achieved just about all I could ever hope for in life. I've come to love life with all it's ups and downs. I've learned how to roll with the punches and keep my chin up when things get tough. I've truly learned to put myself at the top of the priority list. I have more of myself to give than ever before. I've learned how to give and receive friendship. I've come to love and accept myself as I am. I know I am stronger than ever (and not just my muscles, but truly I think I am physically at my...

Going private, send your e-mail to keep reading!!

Well, I've found out that a middle aged man has been coming on my blog and looking at pictures of my children.  I am obviously very uncomfortable with this, so it's time to go private. I'm happy to let any of you continue reading, as long as I know you and know you're not creepy! Just post your e-mail address and I'll add it to the list :o)

Lila is 2!!

Where did the time go? My baby is two and not really a baby at all. We love her to pieces and can't imagine life without her. She continues to learn things quickly and is already starting to read. Just kidding!! Just wanted to see if you were reading my post. Lila loves to learn, but she's not a genius (sorry sweetie--your genes aren't that good!). Lately she's been learning the sounds the letters make (she learned the alphabet at 16 mos.) and by sight she recognizes the words "cat", "dog", "Mom", "Dad", and "Lila." She knows all the colors (although her colorblindness sometimes gets her mixed up on red and green...those darn genes again!), shapes, and numbers 1-15. She enjoys singing, playing the "I Spy" game, running, climbing, going to nursery on Sunday, bike rides, looking at books, and going to the library. Oh yeah, and did I mention that she likes chocolate just as much as I do?? Maybe I shouldn't ha...