Skip to main content

Smoothie recipes, before I forget :)

As promised, this post is all about smoothies!

For months I wanted to get myself in on the green smoothie trend. Back in November I finally got a new blender container/blade for the Vitamix blender Darren picked up at a garage sale 6 (!!!) years ago. At that time I tried one green smoothie and did NOT like it, so I stuck to fruit and nut smoothies only for a few months. In April I revisited the green smoothie when I found some interesting looking recipes via Pinterest. Now I'm a green smoothie lover!! Lila and Darren are too chicken to give my smoothies a try (they're crazy, so don't be like them), but me and Walt slurp one down just about everyday.

Tips and links
One thing I've learned that was great advice when making green smoothies is, blend your liquids + greens FIRST. This ensures a smooth texture for those greens. Frozen banana slices are also great for getting your smoothie cold and creamy without needing to add ice. 
A couple of the recipes I've listed below have been adapted from a blog post from Jamie, of the Prudent Baby blog. Click here for the link to her post with 20 recipes!
I follow SimpleGreenSmoothies on Instagram and love how frequently they post recipes and tips. Their pictures are really pretty too! Check them out on the web here.
I personally prefer kale in my smoothies. Kale is more nutritious than spinach and I've just found that I really like it! But, I think rotating your greens sounds like good advice, so I will be working my way into trying that. 
Adapted from a recipe by Jamie of Prudent Baby
Purple "green" smoothie: 1 cup frozen mixed berries, 1 frozen banana, 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup almond milk, 1 T chia seeds, 1 T flaxseeds, 2 cups kale (stems removed), 2 clementines 


This one wasn't green, but Lila loved it!
"Orange Julius" wannabe: 6 clementines (peeled), 1 date, 1 tsp orange zet, splash of vanilla, 1/2 cup almond milk, 1/2 cup ice


2/3 cup Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup almond milk, 2 cups kale, 2 pears (cored), 1 T flaxseeds, 1 frozen banana, a splash of vanilla


 
4 clementines, 1 cup grapes, 2 cups kale, 1 T chia seeds, 1/2 cup each of frozen banana and pineapple, 1 pear (cored), about 1/2 cup of water


This is a chocolate green smoothie, and yes it is good!
First blend: 1 cup almond milk + 1 cup tightly packed spinach + 1-2 dates; after that's smooth, add 1 frozen banana, 1.5 T cocoa powder, 1-2 T of almond butter, and a splash of vanilla


I enjoyed this recipe found here:

Kale and Pear Smoothie with Herbs
Serves 2

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups water ( I threw in a couple clementines instead)
2 cups greens (I used kale)
1/4 cup herbs (I used parsley) 
2 ripe pears, cored
1 frozen banana (remove the peel, cut into 1-inch slices, and freeze in a plastic bag overnight)
1 cup ice
1 Tablespoon flax seeds
Protein powder (optional) 
1/4 avocado (optional)


Instructions:
Blend water, greens, and herbs for 15 seconds - 1 minute (depending on your blender) on high. Then add the pear, banana, ice, flax seeds (if using), protein powder (if using), and avocado (if using) and blend for an additional 30 seconds - 1 minute. 


carrot-smoothie_300.jpg
Carrot Pineapple smoothie

Ingredients

Directions

  1. Place the pineapple, ice, orange juice, carrot, and banana in a blender.
  2. Blend until smooth and frothy

This recipe came from Real Simple, and I increased the carrot, left out the ice and used frozen fruit instead.
banana-almond-flax-smoothie1.jpg
Banana Almond Smoothie from Cookie + Kate
Ingredients
  • 1 medium to large frozen banana (break your bananas into one-inch chunks before freezing)
  • 1 heaping spoonful of almond butter
  • 2 spoonfuls flax seed
  • 1/2 cup almond milk, yogurt or regular milk
  • drizzle of honey, agave nectar or maple syrup
  • tiny drop of almond extract (or vanilla extract, but the almond extract makes the smoothie taste almost like candy!)
Instructions
  1. Toss all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
  2. Pour into a glass and enjoy.
This was what I was making all the time before I started liking green smoothies. This is a favorite of Lila's.

Tell me how your adventures in green smoothies goes! Be adventurous and drink your greens!!!



Comments

Kelly said…
Lots of interesting recipes. I'll have to try them. You should look up skinny green tropical smoothie on
skinnytaste.com. I really like that one.
Christie said…
Thanks, Adria! I finally printed out the recipes, and I'll go shopping for ingredients this week. I can't wait to try these! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

All the emotions

Moving of course brings up all sorts of thoughts and feelings. As I declutter and go through all of our stuff I get distracted with the memories that items bring up. I've had moments of sadness and feeling like time flies far too quickly. But of all the feelings, the most overwhelming one has been joyful gratitude. All my reflections on these years here in Austin, and most especially this last year have made me realize how far I've come in my life. This year I have achieved just about all I could ever hope for in life. I've come to love life with all it's ups and downs. I've learned how to roll with the punches and keep my chin up when things get tough. I've truly learned to put myself at the top of the priority list. I have more of myself to give than ever before. I've learned how to give and receive friendship. I've come to love and accept myself as I am. I know I am stronger than ever (and not just my muscles, but truly I think I am physically at my...

Going private, send your e-mail to keep reading!!

Well, I've found out that a middle aged man has been coming on my blog and looking at pictures of my children.  I am obviously very uncomfortable with this, so it's time to go private. I'm happy to let any of you continue reading, as long as I know you and know you're not creepy! Just post your e-mail address and I'll add it to the list :o)

Lila is 2!!

Where did the time go? My baby is two and not really a baby at all. We love her to pieces and can't imagine life without her. She continues to learn things quickly and is already starting to read. Just kidding!! Just wanted to see if you were reading my post. Lila loves to learn, but she's not a genius (sorry sweetie--your genes aren't that good!). Lately she's been learning the sounds the letters make (she learned the alphabet at 16 mos.) and by sight she recognizes the words "cat", "dog", "Mom", "Dad", and "Lila." She knows all the colors (although her colorblindness sometimes gets her mixed up on red and green...those darn genes again!), shapes, and numbers 1-15. She enjoys singing, playing the "I Spy" game, running, climbing, going to nursery on Sunday, bike rides, looking at books, and going to the library. Oh yeah, and did I mention that she likes chocolate just as much as I do?? Maybe I shouldn't ha...