Skip to main content

The Texas heat

This week...

Monday
 I was so thankful for an air conditioned home as the temperature soared to 106. It's been a few months since I last felt such heat, and it sure is hot!!
It made my heart break a little that I hadn't asked Lila sooner, because when I did ask her if she wanted me to play dolls with her she completely dropped the computer game she was playing and excitedly asked me, "What did you say, Mom??" I was glad I didn't let the chance pass me by, and I made my girl so happy.

Tuesday
We beat the heat and got the grocery shopping done in the morning!
Then we went to lunch with Darren, which made Miss Lila so happy (she loves eating out). Darren came home early and we all went swimming. Walt went swimming for the first time.
She said she was going to the ball. Then we went to lunch with Darren.


Wednesday
I was thankful for the end of this day. I struggled today, and had to face the consequences of procrastination. I'm crossing my fingers that I've learned my lesson...no, I'm praying very hard for forgiveness and the help to reform my ways. I know I will be a happier, healthier, wealthier person if I can remove procrastination from my life.
Lila asked to help me wash the dishes today when she saw me filling the sink with hot soapy water and dirty dishes. I almost always wash the dishes after she's in bed, so I hadn't realized what a fun novelty it is to her to wash dishes! I'll have to remember this next time she needs something to do :)
I'm thankful for music and how it can instantly brighten my mood. I needed it today and it came through for me.
Walt is such an angel baby. He goes down so easily for his naps and usually naps so well. It almost feels too easy!



Thursday
Walt turned FOUR months old today! I'm happy and a little sad about it...babies just grow up too fast! I'm happy to report that he's in perfect health and quite chubby. He tipped the scales at 17 lbs. 11 oz. today. He's definitely bigger than Lila was at the same age!
I'm so incredibly thankful for Darren's job. He's been working at Mutual Mobile for 3.5 months and he's got nowhere to go but up, and up he's going! It's funny how we don't know why somethings happen or how an experience we have will be so influential later, but in retrospect we see how the puzzle pieces have come together. I'm really grateful that Darren is working in a field that is relatively new, and growing.
Lila wanted me to play micro machines with her and she surprised me with her fancy vocabulary and said, "This car is fascinating!"
I was thrilled to have no wait at Jiffy Lube for our safety inspection and to make the experience even better the guys there were so nice to me and the kids.
4 months old


Friday
Swimming with friends. Realizing that the week has gone by and no one else got sick!

Saturday
Hot yoga. I tried a hot yoga class at the gym and have never sweat more in my life! I want to do it again. Lila had fun running errands with us. She was playing dress up before we left the house and insisted she keep her bandana on to stay a pirate girl. We celebrated our anniversary as a family at our favorite restaurant (we sure miss living by Grandma for free babysitting ;) and I convinced her to abandon the bandana. Darren installed an attic fan above the garage after dinner and we're hoping it will help keep the house cooler during our hot summer.


Sunday
Rain. It was refreshing to wake up to a summer rain.
Eternal marriage. Today we're celebrating 8 years of marriage. We never could have imagined 8 years ago where we would be today. I couldn't be happier to be spending every day of my life with my darling Darren and our lovely children.
I had a gloriously long nap this afternoon by myself. No Walt and no Lila to share the bed with. Just me. It was lovely. Darren and Lila had their nap together on the extra bed and Walt had his nap in the swing. Doesn't get much better than Sunday naps :o)

Sunday naps.



The hummingbird that was stuck in our garage this evening. Darren shooed him out after awhile so he wouldn't starve to death. 



Lila requested this picture. She and Walt were playing footsies. Lila requested feet and shoe pictures all week (I spared everyone the other feet pics she had me take!).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All the emotions

Moving of course brings up all sorts of thoughts and feelings. As I declutter and go through all of our stuff I get distracted with the memories that items bring up. I've had moments of sadness and feeling like time flies far too quickly. But of all the feelings, the most overwhelming one has been joyful gratitude. All my reflections on these years here in Austin, and most especially this last year have made me realize how far I've come in my life. This year I have achieved just about all I could ever hope for in life. I've come to love life with all it's ups and downs. I've learned how to roll with the punches and keep my chin up when things get tough. I've truly learned to put myself at the top of the priority list. I have more of myself to give than ever before. I've learned how to give and receive friendship. I've come to love and accept myself as I am. I know I am stronger than ever (and not just my muscles, but truly I think I am physically at my...

Going private, send your e-mail to keep reading!!

Well, I've found out that a middle aged man has been coming on my blog and looking at pictures of my children.  I am obviously very uncomfortable with this, so it's time to go private. I'm happy to let any of you continue reading, as long as I know you and know you're not creepy! Just post your e-mail address and I'll add it to the list :o)

Lila is 2!!

Where did the time go? My baby is two and not really a baby at all. We love her to pieces and can't imagine life without her. She continues to learn things quickly and is already starting to read. Just kidding!! Just wanted to see if you were reading my post. Lila loves to learn, but she's not a genius (sorry sweetie--your genes aren't that good!). Lately she's been learning the sounds the letters make (she learned the alphabet at 16 mos.) and by sight she recognizes the words "cat", "dog", "Mom", "Dad", and "Lila." She knows all the colors (although her colorblindness sometimes gets her mixed up on red and green...those darn genes again!), shapes, and numbers 1-15. She enjoys singing, playing the "I Spy" game, running, climbing, going to nursery on Sunday, bike rides, looking at books, and going to the library. Oh yeah, and did I mention that she likes chocolate just as much as I do?? Maybe I shouldn't ha...