We've been home from Utah for nearly a week now. Things aren't quite back to normal yet, but we're getting back into the swing of things...which means I should blog before one more day goes by!
The night before we were to fly home, the airline called us to tell us out flight had been cancelled. We had booked our flight out of the Provo airport and we were really looking forward to the short ride to the airport, but it just didn't work out. We were able to get our flight switched to another airline out of SLC for the same day our original flight was scheduled. We had no choice but to fly through LAX, which was a little unfortunate, but not really a problem. The upside: our flight was switched to American so we had free checked bags (because of all the Australia miles), and the kids did great even though our travel time increased by several hours more than originally planned. I'm so thankful the kids are great travelers!
I've been thankful for all the rain that we've had here in Texas since being back. It's been cozy to fall asleep under a heap of blankets and wake up to the heater running.
The unpacking, laundry, and Christmas decoration removal all went smoothly and didn't take too long, which was good.
Lila has been a good eater lately, and has been eating a nice variety of food. We went out to lunch on Saturday (I didn't make it to the store before then, so the fridge was still empty) and she tried and *liked* sushi. She especially liked Darren's shrimp and yellowtail sashimi, and preferred it to the chicken we ordered her. You never can tell what that girl is going to like! I'm glad we keep offering her everything :)
Little Walter had his (overdue) 9 month check up and vaccinations, and as usual, he took the shots like a champ. He is 21 lbs. 14 oz. (90% for weight) and 28.5" (70% for height). And the doctor proclaimed him perfect, which of course we already knew :)
After putting Christmas decor away in the garage, I pulled out some of my sheet music that's been stashed out there since prior to getting the piano. I was happy to find that a couple of my anthology books have some beloved songs in there. "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Mis is in my Broadway book, so I've been belting that one out and getting teary-eyed envisioning Anne Hathaway's performance in the film. Was anyone else blown away by her raw emotion and impeccable skill?? Anyway, the other song I found I have is an old Charlie Chaplin tune, "Smile." I fell in love with the song a couple of years ago and found some guitar tabs online so I could sing/play it, but never realized I already own the sheet music! The song makes me happy and I'll end this post with the lyrics, in case you're not familiar with them :)
Smile, though your heart is aching
Smile, even though it’s breaking
When there are clouds in the sky
you’ll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You’ll see the sun come shining through
for you
Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness Although a tear may be ever so near
That’s the time you must keep on trying
Smile what’s the use of crying
You’ll find that life is still worthwhile
If you’ll just
Smile
The night before we were to fly home, the airline called us to tell us out flight had been cancelled. We had booked our flight out of the Provo airport and we were really looking forward to the short ride to the airport, but it just didn't work out. We were able to get our flight switched to another airline out of SLC for the same day our original flight was scheduled. We had no choice but to fly through LAX, which was a little unfortunate, but not really a problem. The upside: our flight was switched to American so we had free checked bags (because of all the Australia miles), and the kids did great even though our travel time increased by several hours more than originally planned. I'm so thankful the kids are great travelers!
I've been thankful for all the rain that we've had here in Texas since being back. It's been cozy to fall asleep under a heap of blankets and wake up to the heater running.
The unpacking, laundry, and Christmas decoration removal all went smoothly and didn't take too long, which was good.
Lila has been a good eater lately, and has been eating a nice variety of food. We went out to lunch on Saturday (I didn't make it to the store before then, so the fridge was still empty) and she tried and *liked* sushi. She especially liked Darren's shrimp and yellowtail sashimi, and preferred it to the chicken we ordered her. You never can tell what that girl is going to like! I'm glad we keep offering her everything :)
Little Walter had his (overdue) 9 month check up and vaccinations, and as usual, he took the shots like a champ. He is 21 lbs. 14 oz. (90% for weight) and 28.5" (70% for height). And the doctor proclaimed him perfect, which of course we already knew :)
After putting Christmas decor away in the garage, I pulled out some of my sheet music that's been stashed out there since prior to getting the piano. I was happy to find that a couple of my anthology books have some beloved songs in there. "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Mis is in my Broadway book, so I've been belting that one out and getting teary-eyed envisioning Anne Hathaway's performance in the film. Was anyone else blown away by her raw emotion and impeccable skill?? Anyway, the other song I found I have is an old Charlie Chaplin tune, "Smile." I fell in love with the song a couple of years ago and found some guitar tabs online so I could sing/play it, but never realized I already own the sheet music! The song makes me happy and I'll end this post with the lyrics, in case you're not familiar with them :)
Smile, though your heart is aching
Smile, even though it’s breaking
When there are clouds in the sky
you’ll get by
If you smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You’ll see the sun come shining through
for you
Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness Although a tear may be ever so near
That’s the time you must keep on trying
Smile what’s the use of crying
You’ll find that life is still worthwhile
If you’ll just
Smile





Comments