Skip to main content

I'm still here

I thought I was going to have a perfect record this year for my weekly blog posts. The last couple of weeks I just haven't been able to make it happen. I dropped the ball, and I'm actually pretty ok with it. Sometimes you just need a break, even from the good things. It's kind of like now that I'm a mom, I can see how mom's sometimes need a break from those precious babes that you love so much. Same thing seemed to be the case with my blog.

To tell you the truth, I feel like I've been struggling a bit lately. Coming home from a 5 week "vacation" was a bit of an adjustment (which I expected). I struggled the last few weeks to be a good co-parent again. I had gotten a little bit used to doing it without Darren. Lila had some serious behavior issues the first week and a half we were back, but things were much better this past week. The bedtime routine had to be re-tackled. We conquered that, me and Darren together. I started and quit a preschool co-op with some friends over a two week period. Lila started her first day of "real" preschool last Thursday. My sweet baby Walt has been teething forever (or so it seems). I have been sleep deprived for the last 3 months and it had taken it's toll on me. I worked on getting more sleep this past week, and thankfully the time change is on my side on this one. I am panicked about those last two BYU courses that I haven't quite finished, but always weigh on my mind. Why haven't I finished them yet? My life will be mine again when they're done, so could I just finish them already?! Let's not even talk about how I've been totally slacking on feeding my family. This has probably had a bigger impact on the last few weeks than I even realize. I have been so torn about how to feed my family well, that we're all going hungry because I haven't been feeding us enough. Should we try the paleo diet? See how gluten free makes us feel? Or maybe follow a clean eating protocol? I flip-flop every other day on what we should do about our diet. All of those cavities in Lila's mouth, Darren's allergies, and introducing new foods to Walt make me wonder what I can do to keep us all healthy. Oh yeah, and along with all that, I haven't been exercising regularly, which just makes things worse for both body and mind.

Now that I've let it all hang out, why not tell you about all the good things? It's November and we're thankful! I saw a thankful tree idea on Pinterest and we made our on the 1st. Everyday we're adding leaves to our tree that have the things were thankful for written on them. Lila has been very excited about our thankful tree, which makes my heart happy. The last few weeks I'd been feeling like I haven't been teaching her the Gospel at home like I used to, so it meant a lot to me that she immediately understood and had plenty to contribute to our thankful tree.
This picture shows another blessing from the past week: a piano!! I've been waiting five years for a piano and the day finally came. Darren was renting a U-haul to take some furniture to his new office, so I took advantage of the opportunity and bought the piano from an ad on Craig's List. Now we have one furnished and decorated wall space in our house, hooray!! I can now prepare for my calling as RS pianist each week and one day get the kids started on piano lessons.
I bought this piano in hopes to someday paint it a fun color, maybe mint or turquoise :o)

Last Sunday we had a Relief Society lesson that seemed custom picked for me, and it really turned around my week. I felt like I was shaking off the funk I've been in, and things are still feel liking they're shaping up. I'm so thankful for prayer and the inspired words of our church leaders.
Speaking of last Sunday, Walter turned 8 months! Isn't he scrumptious? I can't get enough of his chubby cheeks! 
As of today he has 5 teeth (one just popped through a teeny bit today). At 8 months, he's not crawling yet, but he does scoot around quite a bit on his bottom. He likes to try pulling up on the couch, bed, ottoman, side of the bathtub, etc. We've been adding new foods to his diet, and lately he really enjoys pumpkin and sweet potato. I was thinking that I would use the "baby led weaning" technique with him, as I did with Lila, but he seems to like being spoon fed or using the mesh food holder thing, so I haven't been feeding him quite the same as I did with Lila. Just as with Lila though, we're not buying baby food, just fixing him fresh whole foods and things that we're also eating that are already pureed (like the pumpkin puree that we had in our waffles). He's been a really mama's boy during this teething period as well. Lately he sees me a cries out and reaches for me...a little separation anxiety maybe? He loves Lila so much too. It's so adorable how she can get him to laugh hysterically. Sibling love is the best! Here's some pics of our little guy from the month of October.
He won't like this forever, but right now he loves when his sister squishes his cheeks!

Exploring the grass (while I took a pic of Lila in her costume).

I finally got a pic of his two front teeth!

Can you see his two bottom teeth?

Cucumber :)

Just making a concentrated mess.

He really does know how to use the handle on this thing.

I was grateful when the ward Halloween party came around last Tuesday that Lila's grandma had sent her a costume the day before. I had ordered Lila a fairy costume online a week and a half before Halloween, but it didn't arrive until 2 days after the big day. Mom fail, Grandma win! That's what grandma's are for, I guess!
Our little Tinkerbell


I had no motivation to come up with anything new, so Walt got to wear the trusty old sheep ears that I crocheted for Lila's first Halloween. Looks like we now have a family tradition!

Darren had his birthday two weeks ago and I hadn't mentioned it. Staying true to fashion we celebrated at home with a cake and the happy birthday banner. I filled the cake with pudding and wondered why I had never tried that before...we enjoyed it very much :o)


I also don't know how to make a pretty cake :D

Last, but not least, Darren finally signed his resignation with Mutual Mobile and is officially under new employment and in a new office just 2 miles from home. We feel like the opportunity for this career move has been a blessing. I'm so excited that Darren's commute is virtually gone!

Anyway, I hope to have a few minutes later this week to finally put up our vacation pics that I have uploaded to my new computer (another thing to be a thankful for--a new iMac that was gifted to us :) 
I hope you all are having a grateful November too.

Comments

Kelly said…
Oh goodness. Doesn't it seem like all your struggles pile on at the same time? Glad things are getting back to normal. I too have been in a food rut. I feel like I make the same things all the time and I never meal plan and have no motivation to try new things. Blah! One good thing about summer sales...sharing recipes. Miss that. Anyway, love your honesty and your babes are getting so big. Oh and you look amazing in your breastfeeding shoot.
Meghan said…
Walt is so adorable. He's getting so big! Lila looks adorable in her costume! What cute kids. How fun that you got a piano!

Popular posts from this blog

All the emotions

Moving of course brings up all sorts of thoughts and feelings. As I declutter and go through all of our stuff I get distracted with the memories that items bring up. I've had moments of sadness and feeling like time flies far too quickly. But of all the feelings, the most overwhelming one has been joyful gratitude. All my reflections on these years here in Austin, and most especially this last year have made me realize how far I've come in my life. This year I have achieved just about all I could ever hope for in life. I've come to love life with all it's ups and downs. I've learned how to roll with the punches and keep my chin up when things get tough. I've truly learned to put myself at the top of the priority list. I have more of myself to give than ever before. I've learned how to give and receive friendship. I've come to love and accept myself as I am. I know I am stronger than ever (and not just my muscles, but truly I think I am physically at my...

Going private, send your e-mail to keep reading!!

Well, I've found out that a middle aged man has been coming on my blog and looking at pictures of my children.  I am obviously very uncomfortable with this, so it's time to go private. I'm happy to let any of you continue reading, as long as I know you and know you're not creepy! Just post your e-mail address and I'll add it to the list :o)

Lila is 2!!

Where did the time go? My baby is two and not really a baby at all. We love her to pieces and can't imagine life without her. She continues to learn things quickly and is already starting to read. Just kidding!! Just wanted to see if you were reading my post. Lila loves to learn, but she's not a genius (sorry sweetie--your genes aren't that good!). Lately she's been learning the sounds the letters make (she learned the alphabet at 16 mos.) and by sight she recognizes the words "cat", "dog", "Mom", "Dad", and "Lila." She knows all the colors (although her colorblindness sometimes gets her mixed up on red and green...those darn genes again!), shapes, and numbers 1-15. She enjoys singing, playing the "I Spy" game, running, climbing, going to nursery on Sunday, bike rides, looking at books, and going to the library. Oh yeah, and did I mention that she likes chocolate just as much as I do?? Maybe I shouldn't ha...