Skip to main content

Interview update & Week 4 blessings


Before I count my blessings this week, I thought I better give the update on Darren's trip to California for his interviews at Apple. 

He left on Sunday, had all day interviews on Monday, then flew home on Tuesday. Monday evening he called me and I could hear the happiness in his voice. He felt like the interviews went well. I was happy that he sounded happy. The next evening he arrived home, and he hadn't even been in the door five minutes when he received an e-mail from the Apple recruiter. The recruiter informed Darren that they would not be making him a job offer, but requested that he send his resume again for any other positions that might be open. 

Darren was pretty crushed. I was disappointed as well, but not to the same degree as D. I know that everything is for the best, and we can be patient and persistent and find D a job that we can all be happy about it. In the mean time, I am so very thankful that he has a job! We are indeed blessed, and I'm so glad I've been making my thankful list each week. This week it was especially helpful as we experienced disappointment. We can still be happy and hopeful! Here's my list for the week.

Week 4 

  • The conference talks; Elder Uchtdorf’s talk from RS broadcast. I re-read these and it really helped me keep things in perspective this week.
  • The Mormon Tabernacle Choir. As a teenager you would have had to pay me to listen to MoTab, but as an adult I love to hear the choir sing on a Sunday morning.
  • RS teaching for our times lesson last Sunday. More things I needed to hear.
  • Darren’s safe flight to SF.
  • (from last week, but I forgot to mention it) Visiting teachers who visit me each month and have offered their help to me
  • the electric company waiving a fee at 11pm on Sat. night (from last week as well); my debit card number was stolen last month and somehow the autopay for the electric bill didn't get changed, but the person on the phone was great
  • the local library; it has an awesome children’s room and great DVD and CD selection
  • Lila’s ever improving reading skills; it feels like helping her learn to read has been so effortless, that I’m still so impressed each time she is reading more and more on her own. (The picture below is of the first page in a book that I handed her from the library that she read all by herself and had never had it read to her before. She actually reads! I'm still kind of in awe.)
  • HEB grocery stores; they’re a Texas thing and they’re pretty awesome. They always have race car carts, free balloons, and this “buddy bucks” program to keep kiddos very happy at the grocery store. And they always convince me to let someone help me out with the groceries, AND they have parking spots designated for shoppers with children that are close to the entrance...and they carry lots of the products we buy (they even carry coconut milk yogurt and ice cream!)
  • As I peek in at my sleeping child I realize there may not be anything so sweet in life as my precious babe. This time when she’s so young and innocent and dependent on me will be but a moment, and I hope I can cherish it right now and forever. It’s a love that’s different than the way you love your spouse, but this love is born of you and your spouse and it’s so special.
  • Being so happy and grateful that my eyes fill with tears. I want to remember moments like these forever, and most especially at those moments when I’m at my lowest I want to remember what a wonderful life I’ve been given.
  • Music that moves me. (I think I’m getting emotional because “Sweet Disposition” by the Temper Trap is playing and I love it.)<---this was me on Monday night when me & Lila were home alone
  • A surprise date with Darren. On the 25th it was the 8th anniversary of the day that Darren and I became engaged. I decided it would be nice to surprise D and take him on a date. I made a reservation and got a babysitter (which I never do!) and we went out. I figured we better make sure we get another date in before we have a new baby :o)
  • Finishing the first of my BYU Independent study courses!!! 1 down 2 to go. I have two more exams scheduled with the proctor in February. I will get these classes done!
  • Menu planning and freezing some food each week has been going well. As usual, cooking and baking feel somewhat time consuming, but it’s much easier when I have a plan for the week.
  • Friends! Again, I am thankful for friends. Especially with the Apple news, I am glad to have been so welcomed here in our ward and have many friends already. These new friends of mine threw me a baby shower this week and I really felt showered with love and friendship. It was just what I needed!
  • Ward activity. The activity was sponsored by the Primary and it was a “drive-in” movie for the kids and mingling for the adults. The parents helped the children make cars to sit in for the movie from cardboard boxes. (insert picture) It was really cute and the kids loved sitting in their cars and eating treats.
  • A family outing to the Austin Nature and Science Center. It was sunny and 60 degrees yesterday, so we went and checked out the free science center. Lila loved it and it was nice to get out together as a family. It was a fun teaching experience as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All the emotions

Moving of course brings up all sorts of thoughts and feelings. As I declutter and go through all of our stuff I get distracted with the memories that items bring up. I've had moments of sadness and feeling like time flies far too quickly. But of all the feelings, the most overwhelming one has been joyful gratitude. All my reflections on these years here in Austin, and most especially this last year have made me realize how far I've come in my life. This year I have achieved just about all I could ever hope for in life. I've come to love life with all it's ups and downs. I've learned how to roll with the punches and keep my chin up when things get tough. I've truly learned to put myself at the top of the priority list. I have more of myself to give than ever before. I've learned how to give and receive friendship. I've come to love and accept myself as I am. I know I am stronger than ever (and not just my muscles, but truly I think I am physically at my...

Going private, send your e-mail to keep reading!!

Well, I've found out that a middle aged man has been coming on my blog and looking at pictures of my children.  I am obviously very uncomfortable with this, so it's time to go private. I'm happy to let any of you continue reading, as long as I know you and know you're not creepy! Just post your e-mail address and I'll add it to the list :o)

Lila is 2!!

Where did the time go? My baby is two and not really a baby at all. We love her to pieces and can't imagine life without her. She continues to learn things quickly and is already starting to read. Just kidding!! Just wanted to see if you were reading my post. Lila loves to learn, but she's not a genius (sorry sweetie--your genes aren't that good!). Lately she's been learning the sounds the letters make (she learned the alphabet at 16 mos.) and by sight she recognizes the words "cat", "dog", "Mom", "Dad", and "Lila." She knows all the colors (although her colorblindness sometimes gets her mixed up on red and green...those darn genes again!), shapes, and numbers 1-15. She enjoys singing, playing the "I Spy" game, running, climbing, going to nursery on Sunday, bike rides, looking at books, and going to the library. Oh yeah, and did I mention that she likes chocolate just as much as I do?? Maybe I shouldn't ha...