Our new ward has asked each family in the ward to make a quilt square that will be made into a quilt for the bishop and given to him for Christmas. I thought I could get out of it since we're new, but they asked for it anyway, so I let my creative juices flow. The one request was that the family's name be on the quilt square. I figured why not make an image of our family for our square? Without further ado, here's what I have come up with:
On paper I think these ideas are cute, but it's the execution of turning one of these into a quilt square that has me scratching my head. Thoughts on this anyone? I don't think I've ever made a quilt square before, so I'm not sure how difficult some techniques might be. Inspiration for the faces came from this appliqued & embroidered pillow I saw on the Oh Dee Doh blog:
So my original idea was to cut out the little faces from fabric and applique and embroider them on. Good idea or not? Too much work? Then I thought maybe fabric markers or paint? I haven't ever drawn or painted on fabric so I'm not really sure what product I might use or how it would turn out. Anybody out there ever done this before?
The second picture of the family silhouettes I had also been considering cutting out of black fabric and appliqueing them onto the fabric square. Now I'm just afraid that something so small would be hard to cut out. Any thoughts?
Well, if anyone out there has any suggestions or thoughts I would appreciate them! Make a comment here or on my Facebook page. I have to get this done before Sunday :o)
P.S. The faces are my own original drawings (inspired by the pillow above), while the silhouettes were copied from a couple different Google searches.




Comments