Skip to main content

Five years and still going strong!

As Darren and I held each other in an embrace just after midnight this morning, we wished ourselves a happy anniversary.

Today marks five years of marriage for us. Five years!!
I would say that it feels like just yesterday we were newlyweds living in San Diego, but it actually feels like that was ages ago. We have now lived outside of San Diego longer than we lived there, we have welcomed a daughter into our family, and Darren is approaching graduation from BYU in less than a year (...I will graduate eventually).

As Darren and I held each other in the wee small hours we shared our gratitude for one another and our complete happiness in marriage.

I am so thankful that Darren married me. To this day I still wonder how I was able to snag my husband! He is such a smart, logical, skilled man while I feel like when we met I was an average, illogical, unskilled woman! Not long after we first met, I remember Darren calling me while he was on his way to my house and asking me which direction I lived from Disneyland. I can't remember which direction I told him to go on Ball Road to get to my parents house, but what I do know is that I was completely confused on the direction that Ball Road runs!! Knowing Darren now, I'm surprised that wasn't a deal breaker! Darren is very good with directions and has been known to be quite impatient and annoyed with people who aren't!! Well, he must have seen my potential all those years ago.

I am happy to report that I can read a map now and that's not all I can do! Without my husband I'm not sure that I would have had the courage or the drive to learn and do all the things that I have. I have learned to cook, and not just cook, but truly enjoy cooking...even cooking for a man with food allergies! Darren taught me to play tennis and golf. Less than 2 years after we got married I was playing tennis on the community college tennis team. I never would've done that without him! Darren taught me to wakeboard. Although I can't do much more than get up a bounce a little, it's another sport that I never would have tried without him. This last winter he got me to go snowmobiling and even to drive the snowmobile myself! Without Darren's encouragement I would not be attending BYU and working toward a Bachelor's degree. I really wouldn't be the person I am today without him.

I can't wait to see what Darren will get me to do in the next five years!! I owe so much to my wonderful husband and I am so excited to spend eternity with him.

P.S. I really don't like my wedding pics! I looked awful on my wedding day...I did my own hair and was supposed to have fresh flowers in it (except the person who was supposed to bring them forgot them) and I wore no jewelry...Looking back I would do a lot of things differently!!

Comments

Baguleys said…
Happy Anniversary!! Sad that you couldn't go out and celebrate, hopefully you will make up for it soon. You guys are a cute couple and have a darling baby!

Popular posts from this blog

All the emotions

Moving of course brings up all sorts of thoughts and feelings. As I declutter and go through all of our stuff I get distracted with the memories that items bring up. I've had moments of sadness and feeling like time flies far too quickly. But of all the feelings, the most overwhelming one has been joyful gratitude. All my reflections on these years here in Austin, and most especially this last year have made me realize how far I've come in my life. This year I have achieved just about all I could ever hope for in life. I've come to love life with all it's ups and downs. I've learned how to roll with the punches and keep my chin up when things get tough. I've truly learned to put myself at the top of the priority list. I have more of myself to give than ever before. I've learned how to give and receive friendship. I've come to love and accept myself as I am. I know I am stronger than ever (and not just my muscles, but truly I think I am physically at my...

Going private, send your e-mail to keep reading!!

Well, I've found out that a middle aged man has been coming on my blog and looking at pictures of my children.  I am obviously very uncomfortable with this, so it's time to go private. I'm happy to let any of you continue reading, as long as I know you and know you're not creepy! Just post your e-mail address and I'll add it to the list :o)

Lila is 2!!

Where did the time go? My baby is two and not really a baby at all. We love her to pieces and can't imagine life without her. She continues to learn things quickly and is already starting to read. Just kidding!! Just wanted to see if you were reading my post. Lila loves to learn, but she's not a genius (sorry sweetie--your genes aren't that good!). Lately she's been learning the sounds the letters make (she learned the alphabet at 16 mos.) and by sight she recognizes the words "cat", "dog", "Mom", "Dad", and "Lila." She knows all the colors (although her colorblindness sometimes gets her mixed up on red and green...those darn genes again!), shapes, and numbers 1-15. She enjoys singing, playing the "I Spy" game, running, climbing, going to nursery on Sunday, bike rides, looking at books, and going to the library. Oh yeah, and did I mention that she likes chocolate just as much as I do?? Maybe I shouldn't ha...